Friday 27 June 2008

Q&A: LL Cool J aims to jog fans' memories with "Exit"

By Hillary Crosley


NEW YORK (Billboard) - As Def Jam's first signee in 1984,
LL Cool J has spent two decades balancing love songs with
braggadocio, setting an example that most contemporary MCs have
followed. Now the rapper, who also has appeared in 30 films and
is producing a new untitled drama for CBS' fall season, is
working on the final album in his Def Jam deal, "Exit 13." Due
August 5, the set is led by the single "Baby" featuring
the-Dream.


Q: You recently told the audience at WQHT (Hot 97) New
York's Summer Jam that people have forgotten about you but
you're going to jog their memory. What did you mean?


LL Cool J: I plan to deliver some great material this year,
and I think it's important that people understand my level of
passion for "Exit 13." My music suffered a bit on my last two
or three records because I made my decisions as an actor and
businessman first.


Q: One of the new songs, "I Cry," features Lil' Mo. How did
that collaboration come about?


LL Cool J: People suggested other artists, but Lil' Mo
delivered the quality of singing that I wanted on the record,
and I believe in her as a talent. Talent doesn't always give
you the ability to make great records. Those elements are
separate, but I was able to harness her talent and put her in a
position to sound great on a song. From the response we're
getting at radio, people agree with me.


Q: What producers are working on "Exit 13?"


LL Cool J: I'm working with a lot of young, burgeoning
producers, not many well-known guys. DJ Scratch is the most
famous producer thus far on "Exit," and he produced the song
"Rockin' With the Goat." The same way I worked with a lot of
producers early in their careers and they became popular, these
guys -- Raw, Uncut, Illphonics and Suits -- will be the next
crop of A-list producers. There are a lot of symphonic
instruments on this record, and it has a melodic musicality
that I think goes beyond anything I've done in years.


Q: Since this is your last album via Def Jam, are you
looking to sign with another major label?